Translate

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Our Christmas

Hello,
Yes, as every year Christmas is here again, and a slightly bit different setup for us once again.
I did Wreath for us this year, from last years leftover Christmas decorations, and put it on the door. Lets hope this year nobody nicks it like last year.


And at least we made the tree look snowy. Nobody saw any snow around here on Christmas day for a few years. I remember sometimes when I was small girl, having white Christmas‘s.


Since this is Catholic region, Christmas is celebrated on 24th in the evening. Father Christmas comes in the afternoon/evening on the 24th. We only had an English Christmas on the 25th  until Angel understood what’s going on, but now she’s five years old, she sees it all around her on the 24th. So now, in the morning we do the Christmas socks. We go to Church at midday of 24th - it’s not really a Mass, it’s more like service for children. It’s not very long, and the kids like it. It does have very nice atmosphere and it occupies the Children while Father Christmas is doing his main job.

























After Church we are having a late lunch or early diner. We are sticking with turkey this year as usual. The traditional dinner here is fish soup, fried fish and potatoes salad. It would not be that bad, except the fish is a Carp. Normally people don’t eat it all year, and you can only buy it in special shops, but before Christmas the fish stands appear everywhere in front of supermarkets and on main squares. We do not like to eat it, but we like to go look at them.


























All afternoon and evening we are unwrapping gifts and playing with them, watching fairy tales on TV, since there is really nothing else much to watch on any Czech channel. Christmas TV here is all oriented around the children.
On 25th in the morning we going to visit those few relatives we do have here, and have a second Christmas. Everybody‘s happy. 


We decided to give Daddy little time off on his own last weekend. With Angel we visited local Gallery to see some Bethlehems. They are all handmade and privately owned. The owners are lending them to the Gallery only for two weeks at Christmas time, for everybody to see. I like to share a few of them with you.
 





























There are so many of them. No one is prettier then the other, but each one is unique in its own way, and usually very old.

And as I promised, I finished Angel‘s curtain:

Angels curtain pattern





You need: 
Any Yarn suitable for size E (3.50mm) crochet hook 
Round plastic rings 4cm (1,6”)
Yarn Needle 
Terms/Abbreviations: I used US terminology
ch    chain 
slst  slip stitch 
sk    skip 
sc     single crochet 
dc    double crochet 
st     stitch 
beg  beginning

Pattern notes: Squares are worked in sort of “circular crochet method”, begin to crochet around the ring and in 2nd row forming up the square.  Don’t turn, but continue in same direction.

Inspired by Doni Speigle designs
Square Ring: 
Round 1: Join yarn with a slst around ring, ch 1, work 36 sc around ring, join with a slst to beg sc. Do not turn. (36 sc) 
Round 2 : Ch 1, sc in next st, sc in next st, sk next 2 sts, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next st, sk next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts, * sc in next 2 sts, sk next 2 sts, (2 dc, ch 3, 2 dc) in next st, sk next 2 sts, sc in next 2 sts *, repeat from * to * around, join with a slst to beg sc. Weave in ends. 
Assembly:
I crocheted the first row of squares together in two corners as I went. Afterwards I secured them on the top with sc’s. I did three rows of scs. You may need more or less rows, depending on type of your project.
After I just kept adding the squares as you can see on pictures.

Finishing: 
I made it easy for myself. I put Velcro around the inside of the bed when I sewed the pink Manchester 
curtain and put them on. So now I just pressed it on the Velcro from inside. It holds on perfectly. So there it is.

I’m pleased (really I’m very easy to please) with the result. The colours are very happy. It’s covering all it needs to cover and still lets some air in and out. It’s a nice hideout for Angel and the main thing is - the colours are her choice.

In moderation this pattern can be used for all sorts of projects.



And here’s something little from my Grandmas attic. I found this pattern interesting.
Flower I - chart



Thank you all very much for visiting my new blog this year.
Myself, and my family, would like to wish you all a very Marry Christmas with as little stress as possible.
And from all of us, a Happy New Year. I truly believe that all our sensible wishes can come true in 2015.
Clara




No comments:

Post a Comment